Meet The Doctors
Derek A. Lewis, DDSGeneral, Cosmetic, Orthodontics & Implant Family Dentistry
Introduction: As a young man, Derek Lewis always enjoyed working with his hands,"tinkering" with gadgets, and seeing the fruits of his labor materialize before his eyes. With a little persuasion from his mom, he investigated various professions within the field of health care to find a career that would allow him to do the things that he enjoyed as well as help others. As a result, a dentist was born.
Dr. Lewis has the professional experience that only comes with being in private practice for over 25 years. In addition, he has gained invaluable experience while working simultaneously as a dentist for various hospitals and health care organizations. He began his private practice as a general dentistry provider and, over time, has honed his skills to include cosmetic, periodontic, orthodontic and implant dentistry to the repertoire of services that Dr. Derek A. Lewis, D.D.S., P.C., and Associates offers to its patients. Dr. Lewis is constantly working to improve and expand his skills in an effort to provide the best care, latest techniques, and advanced technology for his patients.
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, 1976 to 1979.
- Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree, Howard University Dental School, Washington, D.C., 1979 to 1983.
- General Practice Residency, Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center, Bronx, New York, 1984 to 1985.
- General Practice and Attending, Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center, Bronx, New York, 1985 to 1994.
- General Dentistry Practice, New Rochelle, New York, 1986 to present.
- General Dentistry Practice/Attending, Terrance Cardinal Cooke Medical Center, Manhattan, New York, 1987 to 1992.
- Staff Dentist, Westchester County Government, Greenburgh Health Center, Greenburgh, New York, and Rye Health Center, Rye, New York, 1988 to 1998.
- Staff Priviledges, Sound Shore Medical Center, New Rochelle, New York, 2003 to present.
- American Dental Association, 1986 to present.
- New Rochelle Dental Forum, 1995 to present.
- Implant Study Group, 2000 to present.
- Completed 120 hours in Periodontics Postgraduate Studies, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY, May 1990.
- Postgraduate studies in Orthodontics, Bronx County Dental Society, March 2002, and Ninth District Dental Society, October 2002.
- Periodontics, New York City Dental Society, April 2002.
- DSSNY Infection Control, New York State Dental Association, August 2002.
- Endodontics, 21st Century Dentistry, October 2002, and Ninth District Dental Society, March 2004.
- Oral Surgery, Ninth District Dental Society, January 2003.
- Oral Pathology, Ninth District Dental Society, March 2003.
- Implant Prosthetics, Perio Institute, Inc., October 2003, and Ninth District Society, June 2004.
- Prosthodontics/Fixed, Ninth District Society, March 2004 and September 2004.
- Basic Sciences, American Society of Clinical Research, May 2004, and BICON, June 2004.
- Cosmetic Dentistry, American Society of Clinical Research, June 2004 and October 2004, and Ninth District Dental Society, November 2004.
- Soft Tissue Surgery (Periodontal Surgical Designs and Techniques), Greater New York Dental Meeting, November 2004.
Thomas N. Holt, DDSPeriodontics, Oral Surgery & Implant Dentistry
Introduction: Dr. Holt's specialized care in implant and periodontic services have resulted in better health, improved quality of life and enhanced appearance for all of his patients seeking advanced, superior dental care. Dr Holt's caring, down to earth attitude make him an excellent communicator and patient care provider, who has quickly become a valuable asset to the office of Dr. Derek A. Lewis, D.D.S., P.C.
- Bachelors of Science in Biology - University of Maryland- Sep 1985-Aug 1992
- Doctor of Dental Surgery, General Dentistry - Howard University College of Dentistry, Sept 1993-Jun 1997
- Advanced Education in General Dentistry- Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, New York, NY-DDS-Aug 1997-Jun 1998
- Post-Graduate Periodontics- Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, New York, NY-DDS-Sept 1998-Jun 2001
- Federal Emergency Management Agency Critical Incident Stress Management, Basic Group Crisis Intervention Certificate, Jan 2002
- American Red Cross, Basic Life Support Certification, July 2008
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology,Department of Defense, Forensic Dental Identification Technologies Certificate, April 2009
- Federal Bureau of Investigation, National Crime Information Center, Dental Coding Workshop Certificate, May 2009
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Periodontology
- American Society of Forensic Odontology
- Northeastern Society of Periodontists
- New York State Society of Periodontists
- New York Society of Forensic Dentists
- Columbia Periodontal Alumni Association
- Fraternal Order of Police Surgeons in New York State
- Medical Reserve Corps in New York City
- Harlem Hospital Center, General Dentistry/Oral Surgery, New York, New York, Assistant Attending, December 2001-present
- Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center, Oral Maxillofacial Surgery and General Dentistry, Bronx, New York, December 2001-September 2004
- Woodhull Medical Center, General Dentistry/Oral Surgery, Brooklyn, New York, Assistant Attending, June 2002-December 2005
- Police Surgeon, New York State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigations, September 2007-present
- Officer in Charge, U.S. Army Dental Corps, Enduring Freedom Mobilization, Forth McCoy Dental Activity
“Dear Dr. Lewis and Staff, Thank You for the wonderful service i received on Monday December 5th. It has taken me a while to find a dentist that i am comfortable with. But i feel that search has been solved. I am looking forward to having a long relationship with you and your staff. Again, Dr. Lewis thank you for your skillfull work. I will recommend you at every opportunity.”
Sincerely Ms. D. Samuels
“On my first visit to the dental offices of Dr. Lewis, i was impressed by the professional treatment and the sensitive care that i received from everyone in the office. I am sure from the apparent condition of my mouth on that first visit everyone knew that i have not been a frequent visitor to anyone's dental offices. However, I believe that i have now found a dental home, and i will be a frequent visitor from now on. Thank You.”
”With regard to the services that have been provided to me by Dr. Derek A. Lewis & Associates, I'd like all to know that i have been a patient of Dr. Lewis for approximately 20 years. I find the office to be very business-like and courteous in their dealings with patients and the provision of services. Over the years i have been able to feel confident that i was receiving the best possible service available . You feel free to ask questions and be assured that you are receiving correct information and sound advice. I have recommended several friends to use the services of Dr. Lewis and to my best knowledge thay have been pleased with the services. I'm pleased to have expressed my thoughts in the form of most positive testimonial for Dr. Derek A. Lewis DDS.”